Saturday, October 2, 2010

I'm not FAT...

How many of us have struggled with their weight at one point or another? I'm pretty confident in saying about 90% of the US population critiques the way their body looks no matter how "attractive" they may be. We live in a time it's become more important to get your muscles big,stomachs flat and our skin as brown as possible. Personally, I find this a little disturbing. We quote "The Situation" more than Voltair, Plato, Davinci, Einstein or any other of our worlds incredible minds. There's an infinite amount of information at our fingertips and yet as a whole society it seems as though we are more ignorant than ever, so whats the excuse? Obesity is a serious issue within our country and it is NOT because we are all lazy. There are so many other factors that play into this epidemic that it is wrong to put all the blame on people who fight this daily battle, and putting us down is not right or ok. I AM NOT FAT!

All my life I've heard that stupid word. Fatty,fatass, fat fuck and every other possible combination of the word FAT. Look up FAT in the dictionary and you certainly will not see my picture or anyone elses for that matter. Fat is tissue, I do HAVE too much fat on my body but that is NOT who or what I am. I struggle with this on a daily basis. Avoiding contact with mirrors, tugging at my clothes and then being mad at myself for even feeling that way. I'm a MAN I shouldnt care and be confident regardless. It's a little tough to do that when all I see are images of how I SHOULD look and what girls look for. Kinda sad right? I'm a good person, I'm smart,funny, caring, sweet, passionate and the list could go on and on about my good personality traits (please, I'm not being arrogant) but in my mind the only thing I can focus on is how I lack in the physical appearence part of who I am. There is so much turmoil within me that sometimes I just wish I could turn my brain off for a bit. I've been on both sides of this spectrum and I really dont know where to go from here...

Today, I weigh between 263-268 depending on the time of day. I've made a pact with a very important person in my life to lose 15 lbs by Halloween while she loses 10. I've made the personal decision to do this again. I've been down this road before a few years ago. I weigh 330+ and one morning just made the choice to change my life. over the next year and a half to 2 years I lost 117 lbs. Girls were flocking to me because I was ripped and cocky. I got laid a lot (sorry ma), had lots of dates, and girls always calling me...but I hated who I had to be to get that attention. I LOVED working out for hours and twice a day sometimes. I was addicted to eating right and scultping my body, but missed being the "nice guy". Then I met Jenn. She is my most recent Ex gf and probably the one who saved me from being just ANOTHER guy. She reminded me what was important inlife and it wasnt how I looked, it was Family. Friends,cousins, or even strangers on the street can become your family and make you feel accepted. And for this I am so thankful to her. This lesson came at the loss of my hard work. I regained half of what I lost over our relationship partly because of her as well. I hate puting blame on others for things that I ultimately control, but it is what it is. She made me feel guilty for going to the gym, eating healthy when she wasn't and then when I did gain weight she made little comments about it. She isnt a bad person and none of this was with malitious intent, she has her own personal demons she was dealing with and I have no ill feelings toward her. In fact I still love her very very much. We both realized we had things within ourselves that we needed to work on before we could truly make each other happy so we have avoided trying again, but I digress. She gave me the gift of Fatherhood. Although it was only for 18 months, I grew to love her son as if he were my own. He was my motivation for everything, but she took him from me with her own selfish actions. That love for him had awoken a new part of me I didnt even know existed and has forever changed me.

Now, I'm afraid to get lost in the Gym again. I'm afraid to lose the weight and get my body back to where I had it because I dont want to lose who I am again..I try to talk to my friends about all of this but none of them really understand because they've never been the fat kid. So where I go from here? I'm tired of being FAT. I can see it in peoples eyes, the lack of attention I get paid or even invites from my friends to party. My name is Matt and I deserve to be treated better. I also deserve to FEEL better about myself. Unfortunetly, this is the hardest part because it isnt exactly something I can do alone. I'm not good at asking for help either. It's Go time and I am going to get back into the shape I used to be. Not for attention, not because society says I should, but because it makes ME happy. If anyone reads this or decides to follow my blog I will be posting more often and I ask of you PLEASE help me along my journey.

17 comments:

  1. I would love to share this with my online world This is SO awesome! So, So awesome!

    I GET THIS! TOTALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU CAN DO THIS.

    Now, let's get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, you are worthy of everything. It wasn't until I met my current husband about 12 years ago that I started to feel worthy of anything. I had been beaten down for years. It didn't happen immediately, but over the years I started to spread my wings and grow to feel worthy. I found your comment "I'm afraid to get lost in the gym again" interesting. What if....just what if we could lay the fear aside and in turn find out exactly where we are meant to go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, GO YOU for putting this out there!! I completely understand all of what you are feeling because I've been there too. You're weight is NOT who you are, and focusing on your health & losing weight will not change who you are either so please don't let that get in your way or sike you out. Focus on one day at a time, the here & the now and know that you DESERVE to live the BEST life EVER. Sending you hugs & cheers!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came by from you mom's blog. I am so impressed with how you are supporting each other. You mom is a great example of how you can find yourself, not lose yourself, on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS- Matt - my 6 year old just told me to say hi for her because she said your header is Dragon Ball Z, which must mean you are soooo cool :-)

    xo
    Fitarella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, you are right. You deserve the best and that starts with allowing yourself to BE the best. You can do this without becoming something you're not...while becoming the man you were always meant to be! Good luck Matt :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fitness, healthy living and being a nice guy aren't all mutually exclusive, Matt. It's that "all or nothing" mentality that can get us in trouble sometimes, but it sometimes helps me to think of the process instead of the goal, to focus on the next step down the road instead of that spot on top of the mountain.

    Best of luck on making your own way in the world. You come from good stock, so I have confidence you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, the honesty of thoughts, feelings and observations. You are teaching so many to honestly look at themselves, whether they be the "fat" kid or the ones who display disrespect for that kid. Thank you, Matt, for opening up the eyes and ears of the blind and deaf to understanding the psych and challenges of weight issues and problems so many. Blessed be.
    www.juneahern.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knowledge is power, Matt. You now KNOW not to let your core being get lost under a pile of fitness machines. You now KNOW that the "you" in you is not about how fit or trim you are. That's all you need. Your mom is right... go for it!

    By the way, I have not been able to post a comment on your mom's blog for a long time. Will you tell her? The "reply" button is barely visible at the bottom of the screen and does not work for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this at Jule's place.... I think you have answered your own doubts... keep reading this... lose your weight but DO NOT become what you wrote here & did not like.. lose the weight, be healthy but say you!!! It IS possible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt, I am just going to be straight honest with you and tell you that you are going to have a much more difficult time with the mental journey of losing weight than the physical.

    Like Jack said, you are equating an all or nothing stance on your actions and NO ONE can hold themselves to that standard. If you try, then you will only continue to be unhappy and unsure.

    I have always been fat... I tipped the scale at 420 a year and half ago and I have fluctuated down and back since then. At one point in my journey I sabotaged myself, because I was afraid of becoming "that guy"... the one who cheats on his wife, alienates his family, goes out and focuses on only himself. What I realized during that point is that I had to prepare myself mentally before I even lost the first pound.

    I don't comment here on any pretense that I really even have a clue about what you are going through or where you are. This is more about where I have been and what I wish I had been told. I have often looked at myself as separated in two parts. The first part of me was the kind, compassionate, professional, nice, considerate guy that let everyone walk over him. The second was the cocky, arrogant, negative, overzealous individual who had confidence in himself. I didn't want to be just one of them because they were so imbalanced. It has taken me a while, but I am starting to blend the two and actually feel confidence without being too cocky, feeling positive and negative at one time.

    Well, I know this comment didn't mean a whole lot, but the main thing I would say is continue to work internally and without pause. Take each moment to grow mentally to set in concrete your values and morals. Good luck and know that there are always of us out here who will support you.. just let us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Matt!

    I'm here because your mom asked that I look in on you. I'm a surgeon, which in medical circles means that I don't know anything but I do a lot :-) Which I suppose is my bottom line for you. You can waste your time over thinking all this fat person stuff, or you can do the hard work that you will need to do to not be obese. You dug a hole for yourself when you first became obese. Studies show that once very obese, it becomes harder to become normal weight again. The successful people, and there are 1000's who have been successful, must be careful with how they eat and do plenty of exercise. Once you have stabilized at your normal weight for a while it will get easier, but that is well down the path. Everything about each of us makes up who we are, the good and the bad. I hope you are able to be alright, it's a journey we all share. You are welcome to read my blog about health and fitness if you are interested. I wish you well.

    Dr. J

    ReplyDelete
  14. I respect your honesty, Matt. You are insightful and learning who YOU are.

    And the comments here... well, they are about as fantastic as your post! They gave you the respect of not giving you a bunch of bull, of patting you on the back only, but gave you honest feedback. And lots of sage advice, too!

    Be careful about giving away your power. By that I mean... you said you hate blaming your ex for re-gaining weight... then you go and DO blame her. Yes, it was there in your choice of wording.

    "She made me feel guilty for going to the gym, eating healthy when she wasn't and then when I did gain weight she made little comments about it."

    See, the thing is, no can MAKE you feel any particular way. They can give you REASONS, they can do stuff or say stuff, but WE choose our response. WE choose how we interpret life. That is our power. And when we blame others, we give away that power.

    It's good news, not bad, to say YOU are totally responsible. Because if YOU got you into this situation by your own choices, then you also have the power to get yourself OUT of this situation. Get it??

    Samuel Hill and Dr J had some fantastic stuff to say... I hope you re-read their comments a few million times! LOL!

    My best to you. Oh, and I get it... we are NOT the fat. I am me. I am Loretta.

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    PS: I just love your Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Matt! You're a good writer and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
    I appreciate how open and honest you are. You've allowed yourself to see some intense truths about life in general and about your own life. I think you're wise and I really believe you can go to the gym and eat healthy and make it feel different this time. You can "choose" to stay connected to your true, charming, sweet, manly self even if you're ripped and "hot".
    I can't wait to watch you do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried to make this comment from my iPhone yesterday and ended up hitting the back button on my browser after thumb-typing a few hundred words!

    Anyway, the point I wanted to make more than anything is that before embarking on this journey, it's essential that you're 100% comfortable with who you are. Whether you find that person before you lose weight or in the process of losing weight doesn't matter, but finding that person is key.

    I have a fairly obsessive personality so when I started losing weight I became extremely gung ho and NOT who I really am. I was a little bit dickish and couldn't understand why everybody didn't eat right and exercise (beyond ironic considering I had been in their shoes just months before).

    It wasn't until after 8 or 10 months that I realized I wasn't acting like the person I knew I was. My confidence was improving but I wasn't projecting the newly found confidence in a very good way. Just be who you are, try not to obsess over the healthy eating and exercise and you'll end up in a healthier, happier place both mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Matt -

    My name is Roy Cohen and I'm a career fitness trainer of 30 years experience.

    As someone who has been fit, gotten obese, and gotten fit again, my argument will always be for fitness. But the reality is, in this world, when someone gets their body, or gets it back, someone else always gets left behind -- it's unavoidable, and there no correct answers here. The belief that there are correct answers is where most people go wrong, but that apllies to all American endeavors; faith, politics, business, community, etc.

    Hands down, this is one of the most impressive blog posts...... NO, this is THE most impressive blog post I have read on the subject.

    I'm a big guest post kind of guy because I think what I say matters much more than what anyone else has to say on the topic, but with your permission, I would like to use this a guest post in the coming weeks.

    Let me know.

    A fan.

    ReplyDelete